9/14 Genetics


    When I first entered college I had a very basic understanding of genetics. I understood the principles of Mendelian inheritance, had used the Hardy-Weinberg equation, and had been taught about some exceptions to basic Mendelian inheritance. I believed that genes had two possible variations in alleles and that all genes were expressed. Since coming to college I have learned that genetics is much more complex than I initially thought. I now know that there can be numerous variations in alleles, DNA methylation exists, X chromosome inactivation is real, and that phenotypes can be affected by more than one gene. 

    My understanding of genetics changed gradually throughout my education. I have had the opportunity to take three genetics courses during undergrad and each course provides new insights to different topics. During my first General Genetics course we used human and plant examples. When I had to take the same class at OSU (my credit didn't transfer) we discussed concepts using mostly animal examples! While the concepts stayed the same regardless of the organism, each explanation provided new information for me to wrestle with. Understanding variations in alleles and multiple genes affecting a phenotype came more easily to me than the other concepts mentioned. While I feel as though I now have a good grip on X inactivation, DNA methylation still confuses me occasionally! Thinking about genetics on a molecular level rather than a population level makes my head spin a bit but with the more I learn the easier it becomes.

Comments